On Sun 18 Mar 2012 at 03:13:39 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> The IPW thing is the firmware required for the network adaptor. I think
> it is IPW200 or something similar.

You should know, but I'll not press it.

> That is why I had to use the firmware instal, and the only way
> availabl;e, is using the netinst ISO.
>
> The instal process defaulted to setting up DHCP, but that did not work,
> as the LAN here uses static IP addresses this side of the
> firewall/gateway computer. I think that the modem/router uses DHCP, and
> it is thus DHCP from the modem/router to the firewall/gateway computer,
> and the firewall/gateway computer and everything this side of it, uses
> static IP addresses.

So you fill in all the fields pertaining to setting up a static address
and certify it is correct when asked. At this point go to a console with
ALT-F2.

Unfortunately, the installer doesn't have ping but it does have wget. So

   wget http://www.debian.org

Do you see a line of stars on the screen? Does 'ls -l' show index.html?