Thank you both for your efforts! I finally had some time to look at it again:

1.) Booting into the recovery mode results in the same, i.e. z and y
are changed as well as other keyboard specific issues such as Umlaute
(ä.ö etc.) do not work.

2.) Executing setkbmap - query in normal mode shows that the layout is
ch - although it is obviously not. Note that the problem exists due to
a post also in Arch Linux, with the same keyboard and German (de)
layout.

3.) I could fix it by putting a *.desktop file into
/usr/share/gnome/autostart, executing setxkbmap (full path was
necessary, else it did not work), i.e.:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/usr/bin/X11/setxkbmap ch
Hidden=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Name=setkeyboard

I have in the meanwhile submitted this issue as a bug to Debian
concerning package X11 - although it might concern another package.

greetings, chris