I had an issue with the cups-filters package on Wheezy.  I found that the
bug was resolved in the unstable branch.  But, I wasn't sure how to get the
unstable branch version of cups.  So, I compiled cups-filters from source
and installed it on top of my current version (did not uninstall the
package version first).  This fixed my problem.  But, now I'm wondering
what the consequences will be and if there was a better way to handle it.

My reasoning for leaving the apt pkg installed was because I wanted apt to
still upgrade when a new version comes out.