On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 04:55:40PM -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
> songbird <songb...@anthive.com> writes:
> >  as to specifics why gnome-ppp doesn't work and
> >bugs that's the usual "volunteers do what interests
> >them."  if you want it fixed, get the code and fix
> >it.  if you want someone else to fix it, pay them.
>
> Yes, that seems to be the core of the issue. The people actually putting
> together these distros are sitting in well-wired offices and never bother to
> use dialup themselves, so it never occurs to them to test these parts of the
> system. Everything is in disarray. File permissions need changed, config
> files need to be edited. It's raw development work that should be done before
> the ISO image for the distro is even created.

The file permissions issue is *very* minor, takes seconds to identify
and resolve.
And of course, needing to edit config files is perfectly normal, the devs
aren't psychic and there are many different hardware setups.

Also I think lots of people are using ppp, because that's what you need
to connect through a cell modem.
I personally appreciate that Debian is more flexible/powerful than
idiot-proof, that's one of the major reasons I choose to use it.
YMMV...
--
 Indulekha