On 5/18/2012 9:23 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I finally got my LSI 9240-4i and the Intel SAS expander.
>
> Unfortunately it prevents the system from booting. I only got this
> message on the screen:
>
> megasas: INIT adapter done
> hub 4-1:1.0 over-current condition on port 7
> hub 4-1:1.0 over-current condition on port 8

These over-current errors are reported by USB, not megasas.  Unplug all
of your USB devices until you get everything else running.

> I also got the over-current messages when the LSI card is removed. Here's
> the output of lsusb:
>
> Bus 004 Device 003: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop
> Laser
> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Again, this is because the over-current issue has nothing to with the
HBA, but the USB subsystem.

> Nevertheless I think the module for the card should be loaded but then it
> somehow hangs.

You're assuming it's the HBA/module hanging the system.  I see no
evidence of that so far.

> And after a while there are more messages which I don't understand. I
> have taken a picture:
> http://666kb.com/i/c3wf606sc1qkcvgoc.jpg

It shows that udev is having serious trouble handling one of the USB
devices.

> Then there are lots of messages like this:
>
> INFO: task modprobe:123 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
> "echo 0..." disables this message
>
> Instead of modprobe:123 also modprobe:124, 125, 126, 127, 135, 137 and
> kworker/u:1:164, 165 are listed.

Posting log snippets like this is totally useless.  Please post your
entire dmesg output to pastebin and provide the link.

> I can enter the BIOS of the card just fine. It detect the disks and by
> defaults sets jbod option for them. This is fine because I want to use
> linux RAID.

Sure, because the card and expander are working properly.

> May this problem be the same:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg30359.html
> Should I try a firmware upgrade?

Your hang problem seems unrelated to the HBA.  Exhaust all other
possibilities before attempting a firmware upgrade.  If there is some
other system level problem, it could botch the FW upgrade and brick the
card, leaving you in a far worse situation than you are now.

Post your FW version here.  It's likely pretty recent already.

> This card was recommended to me by the list:

Yes, I recommended it.  It's the best card available in its class.

> I hope I can get some hints here :-)

When troubleshooting potential hardware issues, always disconnect
everything you can to isolate the component you believe may have an
issue.  If that device still has a problem, work until you resolve that
problem.  Then add your other hardware back into the system one device
at a time until you run into the next problem.  Rinse, repeat, until all
problems are resolved.  Isolating components during testing is the key.
 This is called "process of elimination" testing--eliminate everything
but the one device you're currently testing.

--
Stan