On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 15:57 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> 3. how to revert back to old OS, for example, in my case i upgraded my
>> system from 6.0.4 to Wheezy/SID now want to revert things back.
>
> If your repositories are explicit for stable, than there shouldn't
> happen an upgrade to testing or unstable.
>
> To restore your Debian stable in the future, IMO the easiest way is to
> do a backup before upgrading and to restore from such a backup if
> needed.
>
> You can backup any Linux from another Linux, e.g. from a live media, if

> you're root and run
>
> cd /path/to/debian_stable
> tar czf backup_name.tar.gz *

will clonezilla live CD work in this case? as i am using it very often
and  a bit useto with it.

> Globbing (here using *) and following links shouldn't be an issue for
> your setup. And IMO having several backups/snapshots is more safe than

now this snapshots point raising one more question in my mind.
did you means snapshots like XP and Other windows OS supports. for
example. i can make a snapshot before installing any service like
apache , samba or anything. and after installing , at the end i
realize that i messed up the whole box then i can revert my system
back to that particular snapshot and i will be at the old stage. can i
use snapshot in this context ( sorry for the newbie Questions but i am
confused with Microsoft and Linux as there are same services in both
OS and working entirely in different way)