On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 15:36 +0200, Claudius Hubig wrote:
> Hello Hans-J.,
>
> "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullr...@loop.de> wrote:
> > On my new drive I chose ext4 (with luks encryption) for as far as I read,
> > most
> > people are using ext4 instead of ext3 on ssd drives.
> > Is this really recommended?
>
> ext4 provides shorter recovery/file system check times, which I
> really like. Apart from that, I don’t think there are many
> differences between the two visible to the normal user.

If you deal a lot with file transfers you may find that ext4 is faster.

> > And if yes, should I change the filesystem from ext3 to ext4 on my old spin
> > drive? I think, this can be done with tune2fs (when I remember correctly),
> > without any loss of data. If I am wrong, please point me to the correct
> > tool.
>
> I think so, too, but have never tried that.

I have, and I can comfirm that this really works, you can use the ext4
driver to mount ext3 as well, just to benefit from the improved code,
and you can always revert back to plain ext3 when doing this.
You can also use the new ext4 features, but then you will not be able to
mount it as ext3 again, only ext4.

> > Most important thing for me is speed and security, and, of course, lifetime
> > of
> > the ssd is also important. I added noatime and discard to /etc/fstab, hope
> > this is correct.
>
> If you have a reasonably modern SSD, lifetime normally should not be
> a problem. Of course, noatime helps nevertheless (if only by speeding
> up things and giving you fewer reasons to throw the laptop around
> impatiently :)).

Ext4 will give you some speed gain when booting, perhaps not that much,
but certainly there is some improvement.

Should you choose to convert to ext4, there are plenty how-to's on the
internet such as this one:
https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#Converting_an_ext3_filesystem_to_ext4

Kind regards,
Steven