On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> "Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.b...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> However, I think that happenstance might mean that even a fairly
>>> incompetent klutz might be able to blunder thru a huge bout of ripping
>>> out kde and most of X then moving from testing to stable, and finally
>>> installing lxde and enough of xorg stuff to make it work, without all
>>> that much trouble.
>>
>> Harry, this move from testing to stable has me perplexed.  How did you
>> accomplish that?  Can you please post your /etc/apt/sources.list, the
>> content of /etc/debian_version, the output of "uname -a" and the
>> versions of the following packages?
>
> Egad, don't start picking this apart... it's working :)
>
> It was a bit of a slug fest... and I made many moves without recording
> what I'd done... but I can post the requested stuff.
>
> ,----
> | /etc/apt/sources.list
> | deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
> | # deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
> | deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
> | # deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
> | deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian squeeze-updates main contrib
> `----
>
> ,----
> | cat /etc/debian_version
> | wheezy/sid  (whOOOps)
> `----

Well, you seem to be somewhat successfully running testing, but with
your sources.list set as it is, you'll never actually get any updated
packages.  Everything will be newer in testing, and  you're pointing
only at squeeze (where everything will be either the same or lower
version).

I would suggest uncommenting the wheezy bits, commenting out the
squeeze buts (perhaps adding contrib and non-free at your option) and
running another apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and seeing what it
wants to do.  It's likely to want to install a number of packages to
bring your "then current" wheezy install to the "now current" versions
of packages.  You don't have to apply the update, just see what it
wants to do.

--
Chris