I did not use the term "alternate" as that already has a specific meaning in this context. I also used "contrarian" instead of "experimental" to emphasize I'm looking for something aimed at a different target audience.

My experiments have demonstrated that the Debian installer team has producer a very robust product which meets the needs/desires of a very large percentage of its intended audience.

Having recently read the announcement of apt-offline version 1.2, I think something I'd like would be possible.

What I would like to have:
CLI, dial up on a full analog modem (USB connection), WiFi connectivity, apt-offline.

Options I would likely download almost immediately:
X11, a very simple GUI (NOT a 'desktop _environment_), Tcl/Tk & gnuplot (I've existing projects).

TIA