On 21/06/12 04:07 PM, Csanyi Pal wrote:
Camaleón<noela...@gmail.com>  writes:

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:22:27 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:

I'm running Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid system.
You mean a mix of both?

What must I do to keep the system in it's relative usable state when
testing come to stable?
What's what you want to get?
I want to get again a testing/sid system, but this shall be my first
time to upgrade from testing/sid to 'newer' testing/sid.

I'm a feared what could happen with my system right away after the
upgrade shall happen?

Could happen that that I can't use it a while?

I use "testing" (not "wheezy") as codename in my repositories, this way,
once wheezy is released I'll be in the upcoming testing branch.
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
deb     http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb     http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main

# Bitlbee
deb http://code.bitlbee.org/debian/devel/testing/amd64/ ./

That looks ugly. Having the sid repositories means you will be getting the packages mainly from there. Comment out the sid lines ASAP. Then change the two places where you have "wheezy" to "testing".

Sid is unstable. It has packages that aren't fully integrated in Debian. It's where stuff goes to be tested before making it into testing.

Testing is actually fairly stable most of the time. Keeping your /etc/apt/sources.list file to testing (and not sid) will give you a fairly stable system with relatively recent packages.

Once Wheezy becomes the stable branch, "testing" will continue to give you newer packages while Wheezy will give you mainly bug fixes and security releases. If you are happy with Wheezy so far, then sticking with "testing" should be smooth sailing.