On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 02:58:56AM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

| >> That should be HELO, not EHLO. Either someone/thing has modified the php
| >> code that sends that, or the version you got is just plain corrupt.
| >
| > Uh ... EHLO is the Extended HELLO command in SMTP. See RFC 2821.
|
| Thanks Derrick, Edward and Colin for responding.

You're welcome.

| I looked it up and it is indeed a bug in squirrelmail (1.4.0)
| currently available in testing. (#200108)
| It should be fixed in version 1.4.2-1
| I says how to solve the problem: some code needed to be commented.

This provides a good example of one advantage of interpreted languages
over compiled languages.  This code change can be made without the
need for recompilation or installing a new pacakge :-).

| As to the EHLO, i changed that also in the source code to HELO.

I wouldn't do that.  ESMTP (Extended SMTP) provides a number of
advantages over SMTP.  If you follow Colin's suggestion of reading RFC
2821 then you'll see that EHLO replaces HELO for an ESMTP connection.
Only antiquated (and broken, eg Cisco PIX's "smtp fixup") mail servers
will not understand EHLO.  (not that using plain SMTP is /wrong/, just
sub-optimal)

| I can now send email via webmail too.

Good.

| Next, i'll be looking into ssl to get a secure connection.

What you need here depends on what you are trying to secure.  If exim
and squirrelmail are on the same machine then you don't really need
SSL between them.  If you do want SSL between squirrelmail and exim
then you will definitely need to use ESMTP instead of SMTP (ESMTP
allows for STARTTLS but SMTP doesn't).  If you want the connection
between your browser and squirrelmail to be secured then you need to
work on apache's configuration to use HTTPS in place of HTTP.

-D

--
\begin{humor}
Disclaimer: