On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Carl Fink <c...@finknetwork.com> wrote:

> So I have at various times installed VMWare Player, VMWare Server, and
> VirtualBox. Host was Debian, guest was Windows, generally but not always XP
> Pro.
>
> VB's Guest Additions' video driver doesn't work correctly with Adobe
> Premiere Elements. I have filed a bug at Oracle's site, but no action yet
> after five weeks.
>
> I tried kvm, but virt-manager reports "Unable to connect to libvirt" even
> though libvirtd is running.
>
> If I start kvm from the command line I get:
>
> WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to:
> /home/carlf/.cache/keyring-7jbXBL/pkcs11: No such file or directory
> error: failed to get domain '/mnt/data/kvm-images/xp2'
> error: An error occurred, but the cause is unknown
>
> So anyone have another suggestion? VMWare doesn't appeal to me--I didn't
> like it much when I tried it years ago and it's very, very proprietary.
>
> Xen seems to be more difficult to set up than the above-mentioned and
> Windows support is not complete--although the implication of the Xen docs
> is that even without paravirtualization it wouldn't run *slower* than under
> VB.
>
> Any kvm experts who can help me debug? Anyone got a brilliant howto or FAQ
> to point me to? Should I file a bug against Debian's kvm/qemu? Any advice
> much appreciated. I'm currently running Testing on an AMD FX-8120-based
> system.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Carl Fink                           nitpick...@nitpicking.com
>
> Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
> Stupid mistakes you can correct!
>

> --

Carl,

I once wrote an article about using KVM for kernel development.  You could
see that here.

http://saurorja.org/2011/07/04/creating-a-minimal-kernel-development-setup-using-kvmqemu/

I always use kvm/qemu especially with XP guest and it is working fine.  But
I am not using libvirt now, so IO is a bit slow then.

Anand

--
http://saurorja.org
Twitter: @anand_sivaram