On 22/07/12 16:09, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2012, Brian wrote:
>> The ssh and webserver daemons are available on the network. Presumably
>> this is what you want. Their security will depend on how you have
>> configured them. Debian sshd can be run safely with the default install.
> Sort of.  The recommended "almost worry-free" configuration for SSH nowadays
> is to have it refuse any sort of password-based autentication, and accept
> only key-based authentication (and token-based if you use kerberos or MS
> AD), *restricted* to the set of users that indeed are allowed to ssh to the
> box[1] and no root logins.  Depending on the situation, you also have to
> restrict port forwarding and agents forwarding even for authorized users.
>
> Unfortunately, that's not something easy to automate in the general case,
> and any compromise we take will generate a lot of complains, so we ship a
> *reasonably safe* default... but last I checked, they're safe only if you
> don't ever set any easily brute-forceable passwords, etc.
>
> If you never need to SSH into the box, remove openssh-server.
>
> [1] AllowUsers foo bar.  And root must never be one of them :p

Beware you must be sure to keep an access to the machine before applying
the restrictions, ie. if you're dealing
with a rented server (be it physical or virtual) in a datacenter far away...

This access might be through an out of band management connection (KVM,
Idrac, ILO, or something else), but you'd better check it works before
restraining ssh access.