On Du, 22 iul 12, 18:58:36, Erwan David wrote:

> > However, I have noticed a tendency for things to be installed or
> > started that open new ports, and it's easy to overlook them. Aptitude
> > in particular will install extra packages that you don't need or want.
> For this, first thing is to disable automatic installation of
> recommended packages, it is much more easy to manage then.

I would not hurry to do this unless the machine in question is really
space constrained (e.g. I have an install on a 2 GB USB stick). Since
apt-get installs recommends by default as well Maintainers have started
moving stuff from Depends to Recommends (to allow special use cases and
so).

If you disable Recommends you should understand that is your
responsibility for any missing functionality that may be important for
you.

Kind regards,
Andrei