On 25.07.2012 13:52, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

here is some details about my office.

1. 20 users.
2. pop from main server
3. send via SMTP
4. local mail distribution IMAP

i am not looking in to easy or hard mail server. what i am looking is
it should be good for my carrier and  for my office too.
secure, stable, web base console etc.

btw, i have heard that there is a mailserver called zimbra. but i
think debian is not natively supporting it.

Hi,

you will need at least two things, an SMTP Server (like postfix) and an IMAP/POP3 Server (like dovecot).

Over the years I have used many different programs for that, starting with Exim. But now I always use Postfix and Dovecot together with LDAP, Amavis (Spamassassin, ClamAV) and Postgrey.

Dovecot is quite easy to set up. Postfix might be a bit trickier, but it is very well documented (and the mailing list is very responsive).

Anyway, regardless which server you will choose, please do a lot of research before you launch the server for public use. It is rather easy to set up an open relay anybody could use for sending SPAM. Your IP will be show up on Blacklists and you will have a lot of trouble removing them from those lists.

Also it is important not to use a dailup IP, instead you will need a proper static IP with correct rDNS settings. If you don't have that in your office you will have to use a relay server to send mails (external).

To have a web based access to your mails I would recommend "roundcube". Which is very easy to set up and not too bloated so your users will be fine with that very quickly.

If you want a web based console for all the Admin stuff you can use "webmin", but usually there is no need for that once the server is up and running.

The advance setting up your mail server by hand is that you will get a deeper understanding of what happens in case of problems. Zimbra is more like a black box doing some magic stuff inside. (As fas as I know Zimbra is based on Postfix.) Zimbra is also much more than just an Mailserver, it's more like a collaboration tool like Microsoft Exchange/Outlook.

Bye.