On Thu 26 Jul 2012 at 13:03:32 +0200, Gaël DONVAL wrote:

> Le mercredi 25 juillet 2012 à 21:34 +0100, Brian a écrit :
> > On Wed 25 Jul 2012 at 23:23:14 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > >
> > > I was trying to point out that a PS printer is also a PDF printer.
> >
> > Are you using the word 'printer' to refer to the actual physical machine
> > which does the printing or are you using it as a shorthand for 'printer
> > queue' or 'print queue'?
> >
> I might have totally missed the point: I am by no way a printer* guru,
> but I have yet to see someone do a cat file.ps > /dev/lpr0 (or
> whatever) to print a file.

I'll take the 'whatever'.

   lp -d <print_queue> -o raw test.ps

goes to the printer (the machine) without any filtering and gives a nice
printout if the machine understands PostScript.

   lp -d <print_queue> -o raw test.pdf

also does the same but the printout will not please you unless the
machine has a PDF interpreter.

>From this you might conclude a PS printer is not necessarily a PDF
printer.

There are two meanings in common usage attached to the word 'printer'.
Using the second one may lead to a different conclusion,