On 26/07/12 11:40 PM, Carl Fink wrote:
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:34:22PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:

Have you run memtest86+?
No. Would this specific problem (presumably with the process table) be
characteristic of a RAM problem?
Could happen. It's always worth checking. I've seen memory issues cause all kinds of weird problems. I've also seen a lot of memory problems lately. In fact, I'm running tests on new stick I got that doesn't seem to play nice with the existing stick in a system.

It was a warranty replacement on another stick that went bad. Both are the same model number but this new one seems to need a different BIOS setting. The system actually booted and ran fine, but I decided to run memtest86+ on it and was shocked to receive tens of thousands of errors.

Conversely, two other systems I look after were constantly acting up with just a few memory errors reported by memtest.

Another problem could be your motherboard. Have you tried booting
from a (different distro) live CD to see if the problem occurs on it
too?
It's only happened once, total.
If it's not repeatable, then you can't tell if you've fixed it.