On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 12:10:16PM +0200, Tóth Tibor Péter wrote:
> Hello!
> I have some problem when I'm trying to add an extra IP to an interface.
>
> My config:
> # cat /etc/network/interfaces
[cut]

> #ifconfig eth0:0 up
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
>
> The strange thing is that sometimes works, sometimes not.
>
> if I do this way, it works every time:
> #ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> What cause the SIOCSIFFLAGS error messaeg?
> It exists on Debian 5 and Debian 6 as well.

Might it simply be that the address already exists?

If you don't NEED the extra interface names (ethX:Y names are deprecated
these days), try the following /e/n/i

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.0.10
         netmask 255.255.255.0
         gateway 192.168.0.1
         post-up ip addr add 192.168.0.100/24 dev eth0
         post-up ip addr add 192.168.0.101/24 dev eth0
         pre-down ip addr del 192.168.0.100/24 dev eth0
         pre-down ip addr del 192.168.0.101/24 dev eth0

or, thanks to http://wertarbyte.de/debian/ifupdown/addresses:

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.0.10
         netmask 255.255.255.0
         gateway 192.168.0.1
         addresses 192.168.0.100/24 192.168.0.101/24

> Ezen üzenet és annak bármely csatolt anyaga bizalmas, jogi védelem alatt áll,
> a nyilvános közléstől védett. Az üzenetet kizárólag a címzett, illetve az
> általa meghatalmazottak használhatják fel. Ha Ön nem az üzenet címzettje, úgy
> kérjük, hogy telefonon, vagy e-mail-ben értesítse erről az üzenet küldőjét és
> törölje az üzenetet, valamint annak összes csatolt mellékletét a
> rendszeréből. Ha Ön nem az üzenet címzettje, abban az esetben tilos az
> üzenetet vagy annak bármely csatolt mellékletét lemásolnia, elmentenie, az
> üzenet tartalmát bárkivel közölnie vagy azzal visszaélnie.
>
> This message and any attachment are confidential and are legally privileged.
> It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is
> addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please phone or email the sender and delete this message and any
> attachment of it from your system. Please note that any dissemination,
> distribution, copying or use of or reliance upon the information contained in
> and transmitted by this e-mail or to anyone other than the recipient
> designated above by the sender is unauthorised and strictly prohibited.

Hmm. I'm NOT the entity to whom this message was addressed. Sorry.