Pardon the top-post, but there doesn't seem to a really relevant place to put
this.

In the end I downloaded the 3.5.1 kernel source code, and used make-kpkg to
create a new kernel package. That has completely resolved my display issues,
other
than the dual monitor. I will pursue that issue separately.

Thanks to all who took time to assist.
Nelson