> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: noela...@gmail.com
> Subject: Re: Dual-Monitor help
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 17:20:04 +0000
>
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:13:36 -0500, Nelson Green wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to get a dual monitor set-up working, and am getting
> > no where with this, so it is time to request help.
> >
> > I have a Dell Precision T5500 with dual video cards, and I would like to
> > have one large screen spread across the two monitors. The graphics cards
> > are nVidia Quadro 600s, with a monitor connected to each DVI output.
>
> (...)
>
> > (EE) [drm] failed to open device
> > (EE) VESA: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
> > (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
> (...)
> > (II) Loading sub module "fb"
> > (II) LoadModule: "fb"
> > (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
> (...)
>
> > (==) FBDEV(0): Backing store disabled
> > (EE) FBDEV(0): FBIOPUTCMAP: Invalid argument
>
> Some unordered/random/quick thoughts...
>
> 1/ There seems to be a problem with the driver. As you are using Squeeze
> with nvidia cards, the driver to load should be either "nouveau" or "nv"
> but no "fbdev". My will guess is that the VGA cards are too new for
> Squeeze's xserver Xorg packages, maybe you need to update these or that
> simply KMS is having some sort of problem to be loaded.
>
> 2/ You can also try the closed source nvidia package which usually works
> very well. More info about your options can be found here:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers/
>
> 3/ For setting up Xorg with dual cards (that is, two physical devices
> plugged) and also configuring an extended desktop, you may also need to
> manually adjust your xorg.conf file settings. Some hints here:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#More_than_one_graphics_card
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Multiple_monitors
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Thanks Camaleón,

I am trying to stay away from anything closed source, and I believe that I have
the latest nouveau drivers installed as I am running a newly compiled 3.5.1
kernel. I would assume the tarball contained the latest drivers. lsmod shows no
fb anything. But you have pointed out a clue that I overlooked.

I will certainly check out the links. I will update y'all with the results, but
I may
have to put this off until middle of next week. We are doing beta-testing of
some
apps here and things are starting to get hectic.

Nelson