On 8/30/2012 10:15 PM, Andy Chandra wrote:

> I was wondering if Debian 6.0.5 support TRIM (for Solid-state Disks) using
> XFS filesystem on Debian 6.0.5?

Not with the default kernel.  Read on.

> Anyone has clue about installing XFS filesystem on Debian 6.0.5?

The XFS driver will load as a module.  To create an XFS filesystem:

~$ mkfs.xfs /dev/[device]
~$ mkfs.xfs /dev/sdb

> I'm planning for using MySQL (/var) on XFS filesystem on my SSD.

After creating the XFS you'd mount it at /var.  Instructions for
mounting and enabling automatic FITRIM in XFS are found here:

http://xfs.org/index.php/FITRIM/discard

The default 6.0.5 kernel is 2.6.32-5 which is very old and does not
support TRIM.  As mentioned in the XFS FITRIM FAQ, you'll need at
minimum kernel 2.6.38 for batch mode TRIM and 3.0.0 for realtime TRIM.

Debian doesn't offer a 2.6.38 kernel, but the backports repository does
offer a 3.2 kernel.  The package name is:

linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64

This kernel allows using either FITRIM mode. For instructions to install
packages from the backports repo see:

http://backports-master.debian.org/Instructions/

--
Stan