On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 17:46 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> So or so I do not like to use the stuff that SaX tended to put into
> xorg.conf even after X.org has learned to configure itself most of the
> times.
>
> The times of inserting mode lines, in the case of SaX usually lots of
> modelines into xorg.conf by default are *long* over.
>
> But still use gtf or cvt if you still insist that you know it better.

SaX has got a list with HorizSync and VertRefresh for monitors with
German product names. It's not possible anymore to start with low
frequencies and then simply to increase the settings. You need a
frequency range, that fits to the monitor. Without SaX some of the
monitors I got from bulk trash would have been stroboscopes.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: Strange, that there's an interest to rewarm old threads. I'm not
interested. However, regarding to Lennart and Co I recommend to read the
Arch General Mailing List Archive. Yesterday somebody wrote "there's
nothing that works as seamlessly for me as PulseAudio". The funny thing
is, that it didn't work for him, when he wrote this statement. A funny
thread, with information about bug reports that are ignored etc., all
the things that are reported on different Linux mailing lists. It's
completely useless to continue discussions about pulseaudio and systemd.