On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 16:44:35 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 10:27:50 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 16:19:17 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> I said the computer was new TO ME.  I never said it was NEW. This is a
>>> server machine literally thrown away by a business. But it is now the
>>> most capable machine that I own.
>>
>> No need to SHOUT.
>
> Text-only e-mails have their limitations.

I know (and you know) that. I'm using Mutt and Pan newsreader and both
only support text based formats. And we both know what uppercase means in
this context (e-mail), right?

> I can't use other emphasis techniques such as italics and bold face,
> like one can in a word processor.  Therefore, I use upper case for
> emphasis.  There are other techniques that people use, such as
> enclosing the word or phrase in asterisks or underscores or other
> special characters, such as *to me*.

You can emphasize a term or concept by using a different "wording" or any
other of the mentioned _symbols_. You're plenty of resources.

> But this may interfere with word matching.

You can also use your language skills then. English is quite rich in this
regard.

> Therefore, I use upper case to emphasize a word or phrase.  It's not
> shouting.  Now if I were to write a whole sentence or a whole paragraph
> in upper case, that would be shouting.

The use of uppercases in the above paragraphs can be misleading, first
because of their format (were you shouting or emphasizing?) and secondly
because I don't know what was your goal (you wanted to note what
exactly?).

>> As you should know, GNOME 3 does not require a 3D capable VGA but
>> "gnome- shell". You can still use GNOME 3 with the classic desktop;
>> that you don't want it is a different issue. That said I wouldn't rely
>> that gnome- shell can any good with a VGA chipset which is that old.
>
> I may not be using your terminology, but when I booted the machine after
> installation for the first time, I got this message:
>
>    GNOME 3 Failed to Load
>
>    Unfortunately GNOME 3 failed to start properly and started in the
>    fallback mode.
>
>    This most likely means your system (graphics hardware or driver) is
>    not capable of delivering the full GNOME 3 experience.

Yes, that's the sort of message you get when gnome-shell cannot start
your GNOME 3 session. Being GNOME, the message is targeted to non-
techical users which I don't think is your case.

> I seem to recall from posts to the list which were made around the time
> that GNOME 3 came out that this condition was the result of lack of 3D
> support in the video driver.  The term "fallback mode" is used in the
> message.  The term "gnome-shell" is not.

It's not GNOME 3 what needs a 3D capable VGA card/chipset but gnome-
shell. People is/was incorrectly mixing/using the two terms as if they
were synonyms while they're not: GNOME 3 and gnome-shell are different
things.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón