Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:54:12 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> (...)

>>> For Windows, yes, it's plenty of people.
>>
>> No, there aren't.
>
> In my planet, yes. Everybody I know uses Windows (starting from my mother
> and ending with my company partners).

That someone uses it doesn't mean that they are able to fix problems.

>>> Remember: Windows is a toy, MacOS is a dungeon and Linux is an
>>> attitude.
>>
>> What's your point?
>
> My point is that one of the main obstacles for the Linux introduction
> into the mass market (i.e., consumers) is not "difficulty" but the lack
> of people who can help you when a problem arises.
>
> Today, most of the user-friendly Linux distributions you can find out
> there (Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Debian...) are as easier to install and
> deal with as can be Windows or MacOS in the event they all have to be
> installed from scratch.

My experiences with that are very different.

> So, if Linux is now accesible and easy for consumers, why still those low
> number for Linux desktops? "Attitude".
>
> When a Windows user has a problem (an hey, because of my work, I'm tired
> of solving Windows problems) the user can easily find someone to fix it
> so he/she stays with Windows because the problem has gone. This is not
> happening when the user has Linux. Unless he/she shows a possitive
> attitude, the problem will stay forever because finding someone that
> knows about Linux is not that easy.

It's the other way round. People using windoze don't know how to fix
problems, they live with them. That even includes accepting losing all
their data from time to time. Just re-install when it gets too bad.

Then look around for solutions to problems you can have with Linux, and
you will find lots of answers and even solutions.

It's not about finding helpful people. It's what people have been made
to believe.

>> There isn't anyone who could solve a problem they might have with
>> windoze. Ask even an MSCE, and the only thing they say is "I don't
>> know".
>
> I'm a long time Windows user and there was only one time when I contacted
> MS official support which finally did not solve my issue and I had to
> figure out by myself.

I've made the same experience, except that I don't use windoze unless I
get payed for it. Nobody solves problems with windoze.

> Microsoft users are one of their most valuable
> assets, meaning that you don't need to contact Microsoft in order to get
> a problem solved, the web is plenty of plain users that do their work :-)

No it's not, simply because the users are clueless.

>>> Ha! People can't even spell "konqueror" correctly, do you expect they
>>> will know what the hell is "that"?
>>
>> Did you read what I wrote?
>
> Yes, and I found it funny because most people don't even know that
> konqueror is a piece of software...

That's why I said they might ask what konqueror is. What makes you think
that I would expect they know what it is?

Most people don't even know the most basic things. Yet it is expected of
them to be able to use a computer, so people have assumed an attitude
that makes them experts, no matter how clueless they are. They try to go
what appears to them as the way of least resistance and aren't aware of
the disadvantages.

--
Debian testing amd64