"Weaver" <wea...@riseup.net> writes:

> On Thu, September 13, 2012 4:20 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 04:10 -0700, Weaver wrote:
>>> If you find, in time, that you are running out of drive space, instaal
>>> a bigger drive, install the / and swap and again, allocate the rest
>>> as /home and copy it over.
>>
>> How big should / become? Okay, modern drives have that much capacities
>> that for an empty drive or much unallocated space, simply fifty-fifty
>> should work. But what does argue against having root and home on the
>> same partition?
>
> So that, if it is required, you can move your /home to a separate drive if
> needed over time.
> If you write of an installation of just the one partition, your data
> disappears as well. Having a separate /home gives you some protection and
> flexibility.
> This will be something our newbie would discover as a knowledge
> progression, but a pleasant and, on occasion, necessary discovery.
>
> You can always do a reinstall, preserving all data, with a separate /home.
> Regards,

Huh?

You cannot determine the size of the /home partition by the size of
another storage device that may be installed or not, now or in the
future.  No matter what size you make the /home partition, you can
always back it up provided you have some sort of storage media with
sufficient capacity by the time it is needed.

You can backup your /home directory just fine even when it doesn't
reside on a separate partition.  Good backups, using RAID and an UPS
give you some protection while using a dedicated partition for /home
doesn't give you much.  Just imagine the user making a mistake with the
usage of '#rm -rf' or something going wrong with /home during a
re-install.

Do you expect users to re-size their /home partitions for flexibility?
Before you do that, you need a backup.  When you have a backup, you
don't really need to re-size it.

Do you seriously want the clueless user to lose their data as a pleasant
learning experience rather than advising them well so data loss might be
prevented?

You could also suggest using only half of the available disk space in
some configurations so that the user can use it to make backups when
they find out that they need a different partitioning.

--
Debian testing amd64