On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 08:48:11 -0400, Chris Capon wrote:

> On 2012-09-13 13:07, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 14:54:20 -0400, Chris Capon wrote:
>>
>>> After a recent Debian update, I've been unable to log in to my
>>> Debian/Linux server using the console and GDM3 won't start - X.org
>>> crashes part way through the startup.

>> What can be read from X server error logs?
>
> The mga driver is not loading because it thinks a kernel module is
> already using it.

(thanks for sending the log)

> [  1223.466] (EE) mga: The PCI device 0x525 at 01@00:00:0 has a kernel module
> claiming it.
> [  1223.466] (EE) mga: This driver cannot operate until it has been unloaded.
>
> Is there a way to find out what is using it?

(...)

Gosh, what a cryptic message :-?

I have the feeling it is related to this patch:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/scm-commits/2012-May/785807.html

I can't really decypher the meaning, sorry, let's see what the X gurus can tell
you :-)

A shoot in the dark: you can try by passing to the kernel line the
"nomodeset" parameter from GRUB's boot menu.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón