On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 09:22:51 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:

>> (1d) EFI
>
> Only applies with a pretty new motherboard that supports it.

I was under the impression that an old BIOS (which is what I probably
have) doesn't know how to understand how to understand the partition
table that comes with GPT, which goes with EFI, and that therefore there
had to be some kind of shim installed to bridge the difference so that it
can get to grub -- some kind of bootable BIOS replacement, which may take
a partition of its own, presumably with some kind of kludgy hybrid of GPT
and the old partition table.

I could be wrong, and my information could be out-of-date.  Most of the
information about large disk partitioning I find on the web worries about
the 8.5GB and the 137GB limit.

Thanks.

-- hendrik