On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 20:42 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> The misconfiguration I have in mind is matching one system's /boot
> with another systems's /.  I've had it happen on a laptop sometime
> ago. and it sure messed up my upgrades.  I have no idea how it
> happened, but it has made me paranoid.

IIRC, if the "(set) root" line doesn't fit to the root of the
"linux/kernel line" for grub.cfg or menu.lst, it's possible to boot into
a Linux by booting the kernel of another install, perhaps this will
cause an error instead of booting, however, once I booted a kernel and
root from different Linux installs. Note that I manually edit my
configs, the updater won't do such a mistake.