On 9/14/2012 7:57 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Freitag, 14. September 2012 schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
>> Thus my advice to you is:
>>
>> Do not use LVM.  Directly format the RAID10 device using the mkfs.xfs
>> defaults.  mkfs.xfs will read the md configuration and automatically
>> align the filesystem to the stripe width.
>
> Just for completeness:
>
> It is possible to manually align XFS via mkfs.xfs / mount options. But
> then thats an extra step thats unnecessary when creating XFS directly on
> MD.

And not optimal for XFS beginners.  But the main reason for avoiding LVM
is that LVM creates a "slice and dice" mentality among its users, and
many become too liberal with the carving knife, ending up with a
filesystem made of sometimes a dozen LVM slivers.  Then XFS performance
suffers due to the resulting inode/extent/free space layout.

Of course, this is fine when a user knows the impact up front and can
live with a 10+ fold decrease in performance when the  FS starts filling
up.  Once this gets bad enough the only fix is to dump, format, restore
the filesystem.  And that gets expensive when we're talking many TB.

--
Stan