Christian PERRIER <bubu...@debian.org> writes:

> Quoting lee (l...@yun.yagibdah.de):
>> Package: installation-reports
>> Severity: wishlist
>>
>> Dear Maintainer,
>>
>> this is a feature request:  It would be nice if users would have at
>> least a web browser like lynx and an irc client available while they
>> are using the installer.  There has been/currently is a lengthy
>> discussion about this on the debian-user mailing list starting with
>

> Frankly speaking, I would very much prefer seeing people working on
> current issues of the installer (I mean, not only during 3 months
> before the release) rather than adding more bells, whistles and shiny
> new features. It would be great if existing features were kept working
> during the entire release process.

They'll do that or not, and we probably cannot decide for them what to
spend their time with.

> This is of course not targeted at you who reported this bug (don't
> shoot the messenger)but more at all these people who have great ideas
> on debian-user but never show up in development teams.

Did you show up on a development team to work on the issues you would
like to see the developers working on?

How do you show up on such a team?  Did you ever try to provide a Debian
package?  I'd have liked to and only found it being ridiculously
difficult, so I gave up on it.  If you want to try, I probably still
have the sources and you can have them --- they'd need fixing though,
which I didn't because I don't need it anymore.  I had it uploaded to
freshmeat or sourceforge, and last time I checked, they seemed to have
removed it.  Well, not my loss ...

> If you want a web browser, an IRC client, games, etc. in D-I, then
> please come and first fix issues related to GRUB and encrypted
> partitions, partitions sizes, preseeding, documentation, etc. *Then*
> we'll see if we add a web browser.

Would it really require an excrutiating amount of effort to just add
lynx to what's available?  It could probably be done with much less
effort than fixing the issues you mention and be helpful for users to
deal with these issues until they are fixed (at which time there'll be
new issues to deal with ...).

Anyway, the problem appears to be solved already :)

--
Debian testing amd64