Am Samstag, 15. September 2012 schrieb Camaleón:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 16:04:47 +0200, lavcina wrote:
> >>So first problem in KDE: HDMI output is not always enabled. In what
> >>way "breaks"? Please describe what happens, what's what you see.
> >

> > yes that's the case. The kde Monitor configuration tool sometimes
> > does not recognize the HDMI device and just blank fields are
> > displayed. My little VGA Monitor then becomes the main display and
> > the only one stated in the kde tool. The HDMI Monitor does not
> > start  at all or becomes the extended virtual screen. On boot-up
> > only the middle part of my big HDMI screen is used and the login
> > screen blinks slowly
>
> - Can you enable the HDMI monitor manually by means of "xrandr"?

Good idea. If it does, a configuration snippet in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
could be helpful. The recommendation to not use any configuration at all is
often best, but in multi monitor setups I am using some configuration
snippet in said directory on the workstation at work since quite some
time, cause automatic setup didn´t work for me either.

Before that trying to setup up things with krandrtry might help. But then
this settings might only be specific to one desktop environment, namely KDE
in this case. A configuration snippet for X.org should work in any desktop
environment / session.

Reading recommendation:

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

So place something along the lines of:

  Section "Device"
    Identifier "My Graphic Board"
    Option "Monitor-LVDS" "Internal Panel"
    Option "Monitor-VGA" "External VGA Monitor"
  EndSection
  Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Internal Panel"
  EndSection
  Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "External VGA Monitor"
  EndSection

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/display.conf (or something like this).

Adapt monitor output names to what xrandr tells you as output names.

You can hardcode resolutions as needed. I would only do that if automatic
detections fails tough. If necessary raise the maximum virtual size. All
described on that wiki page.

Golden rule: Only configure that which doesn´t work out of the box. Leave
everything else out. That approach works really nicely for me since the
time X.org was changed to configure almost everything automatically.

If need be I could dig out my configuration snippet when I am back at work
next week.

> - Does the same happen with Squeeze stock kernel? If I recall
> correctly,  you were using a kernel from backports.

OTOH it might be an idea to try with backport kernel + backport X.org as
well. Squeeze Radeon drivers are quite old already.

> - Does the same happen with an updated kernel (backports has now
> kernel  3.2.23)

;)

Ciao,