On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:30:04 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would look for a BIOS update, just in case. Whether in doubt, ask
>> your motherboard's manufacturer about this step.
>
> Thanks. Motherboard has the latest BIOS from 2008 and wrote for support
> to manufacturer (Fujitsu-Siemens). The answer is what I expect:
>
> "we are sorry, but probably problem is because of the OS and changed
> CPU. None of them are supported. Supported OS is: Windows Vista and
> supported CPUs are:
>
> 38006431 CPU INTEL PDC E2140 / 775
> 38006431 CPU INTEL PDC E2140 / 775
> 38009419 CPU INTEL PDC E2160 775 45W"

Wow... how bad. Is not only that the manufacturer does not provide a new
BIOS update, but neither provides support for Linux (expected) nor for
the model of microprocessor you have bought.

> Nice. So no help from manufacturer as I am using not supported CPU and
> systems. Typical problem of brand name and its support.

The poblem here is that these motherboards are too much customized for
the computer manufacturer and can implement settings and instructions
which are not available when sold as stand-alone (separate) items.

> I still have no idea why system cannot shutdown with different CPU.

It does not have to be related but in your case it quite evident there's
a straight cause-effect relation. Given that shutting down problems are
usually close related to ACPI and ACPI is handled in first place by the
BIOS revisions, an upgrade could have helped to solve the problem but if
there are no new firmwares available you can try to load an updated
kernel.

What Debian flavour are you running?

Greetings,

--