On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 07:58:36PM +0200, lee wrote:
> Jon Dowland <j...@debian.org> writes:
>
> > The installer (in expert mode) supports an ssh client on an alternative
> > VT, afaik.  One can connect to another machine with stuff already
> > installed via this if necessary. Surely this is sufficient to address
> > the request.
>
> It requires you to have a computer you can connect to, and it is exactly
> the need to have another working computer before installing Debian on
> one which I would like to see eliminated.

I see. Is this a genuine need, or a hypothetical one?  In my experience, the
kind of people who might desire a working environment during an install are the
types of "power" users likely to have a few machines lying around.  Personally,
I think you should just finish the install and use the machine you're
installing to. A perfect excuse to go and read a book for 10 minutes or so.

> Or can I connect to yours any time I might need to?  Can I put software on
> some storage media like a CD or DVD with that without having to come around
> to pick it up?

Of course you couldn't.

> In case I do have another working computer, I don't need ssh to connect to
> it.  It's easier for me to use it directly.

That rules out access to a remote server such as a VPS.