On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:55:33 +0200, Meike Stone wrote:

>> >From your explanations, I understand that logrotate would create the
>> file if logrotate rotates the file, which requires the file to exist in
>> the first place, so create it manually and let logrotate rotate and
>> create the file in the future.  Does that work?  (This somewhat ignores
>> issues with file permissions that may exist.)
>
> Yes, this works, but I don't want to create this with an extra command,
> because the application (script) delivers the own crontab (/etc/cron.d/
> and own logrotate (etc/logrotate.d) file. I thought this is enough and
> that logrotate is going to create the logfile with the right
> permissions.

Logrotate can "rotate and store" the files and apply them the desired
perms but the script that "generates" the files is not allowed to write
under the usual "/var/log/*" directory unless this is done with root
perms (or by means of "sudo").

> So maybe I overlook something in the configuration from logrotate? If it
> is not possible, so I have to use "install" or "touch,chmod/chown" ...

You simple place the log files in a different place where the user that
creates the files has write perms or accomodate the "/var/log/
your_application/*" directory permissions.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón