On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 02:48:38PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Third, I'm a bit puzzled by Jon's remarks quoted above.  Martin
> recommends using a single, aka monolothic configuration file.  Jon says
> "I disagree" but then suggests doing away with the debian framework.

Martin was replying to me. My message suggested moving away from Debian's
framework. Martin replied suggesting that instead of doing that, you should
move to a monolithic file, controlled by Debian's framework. I replied
because I felt my point was missed: you can use split or monolithic with
the Debian framework or without.

> 2. Like 1, but use the monolithic config file.  It's not clear to if
> changes you make in debconf, or that the package might make on upgrade,
> will get integrated in to the monolithic file in this case.

They are.

> 3. Don't use the Debian config stuff, and the exim4-config package, at
> all and just write your own configuration file.  Presumably you'd borrow
> from an existing one.

In the recipe I gave, the existing one you'd be basing it on is the one
generated by the Debian framework: so incorporating all the specifics that
were generated from your answers to the debconf questions.