Celejar <cele...@gmail.com> writes:

> In this context, any problem with the definition of "copy" is
> irrelevant; you cannot legally (under US law) transfer *any* version of
> the software, "original" or "copy", to anyone else without the
> copyright holder's permission, as you have not purchased the software
> but merely licensed it.

You were talking about copies.  Anyway, I didn't sign any license for
the software, so I haven't licensed it.  What I have is a license to use
the software which I didn't even want to have, and anyone can buy it.
If the law says that I can't sell it without the permission of whoever
is allowed to issue the license in the first place, then the law should
require the issuer to buy the license back from me or allow me to sell
it.

Imagine you bought a car that has software in it and the car is built in
such a way that it doesn't function without the software --- which
unfortunately is the case for pretty much every car built somewhat
recently.  You probably have a license to use that software.  You can't
ever legally sell the car unless you remove the software first.

Now go to a junkyard and ask them for an ECM of some particular car.
I'm sure they'll sell it to you if they have it, with all the software
included.

--
Debian testing amd64