> Try "tail --follow=mylogfile", this will followed the currently named
> "mylogfile" even if the old file is renamed and a new one opened, rather
> than following the old file which -f does.

<smack to the forehead>
I used to know that. Sadly, I even looked at the man page yesterday
before posting and still missed that. Thanks for jogging my brain. It
obviously needed it.

FWIW, I will be setting up a log server in the near future, but we need
this production machine now, and I've got a couple of other priorities,
so I just have an xterm open for monitoring it's logs in real time so I
can start to understand what is normal and what is not for now. The log
server will negate this step.

Thanks!

Sent - Gtek Web Mail