On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The sizes look sane.
> 2*ram=swap If your machine hibernates, all the contents of ram goes to swap.
> 15GB / plenty of space.
> .5GB Boot partition.  Safe enough, but every 3 months or so, check capacity
> with df -h as the drive can fill up with old Linux images.
> The rest for home files makes sense as well.

Hi Wolf,

I have 1 gig of DDR RAM. Thus your suggesting I make the swap 2 gigs?
I do let my system hibernate. Also, if I set the swap to 2 gigs, then
the Appendix section 'C3' says,

On some 32-bit architectures (m68k and PowerPC), the maximum size of a
swap partition is 2GB. That should be enough for nearly any
installation. However, if your swap requirements are this high, you
should probably try to spread the swap across different disks (also
called “spindles”) and, if possible, different SCSI or IDE channels.
The kernel will balance swap usage between multiple swap partitions,
giving better performance. -end-

Not sure if this applies to me and my system?

Not to get 'over-partitioned' here but after reading the appendix
section titled,
C.3. Recommended Partitioning Scheme
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apcs03.html.en

and specifically in Appendix section 'C3' where it says,

"For multi-user systems or systems with lots of disk space, it's best
to put /usr, /var, /tmp, and /home each on their own partitions
separate from the / partition." -end-

I'm now thinking I should set something up like this:

/boot
/
/usr
/var
/home
/tmp
Swap

The section Appendix 'C3' also says,

"You might need a separate /usr/local partition if you plan to install
many programs that are not part of the Debian distribution. If your
machine will be a mail server, you might need to make /var/mail a
separate partition. Often, putting /tmp on its own partition, for
instance 20–50MB, is a good idea. If you are setting up a server with
lots of user accounts, it's generally good to have a separate, large
/home partition. In general, the partitioning situation varies from
computer to computer depending on its uses." -end-

Based on the above, can a directory/partition be named  /usr/local  ?
and  /var/mail ? I thought a directory can have only one name (i.e.
/usr -or-  /local -or-  /var -or-  /mail).

Thank you
Wally