On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:
> Jon Dowland wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 04:13:17PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

>>> It appears to me that my preseed.cfg file is not being read at all.
>>
>> OK. I don't know the nature of the problem you are trying to fix,
>
> The nature of the problem is  that I have found *NO NONE NADA* complete
> explicit instructions of  what to do when handed THREE objects:
>  1. dedicated laptop capable of running Debian
>  2. Debian 6.0.5 DVD 1 of 8
>  3. a USB stick which may be partitioned and formatted as required on which
> can be placed a pressed.cfg.

You can add "DEBCONF_DEBUG=5" to the kernel's boot options to see
(hopefully!) on vt4 why your preseed file isn't being read/loaded.

> What I have found is incomplete and conflicting descriptions of portions of
> the procedure(s) required drawn from various Debian releases.

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.amd64/apbs02.html

Whilst I agree that the actual preseed "verbs"/"options" aren't fully
documented, I don't see what's incomplete or conflicting on the above
page.

>> but could
>> it be reproduced/triaged in a virtual machine? It might be much
>> quicker/easier
>> to explore kicking off the installer in a VM, which you can
>> interrupt/throw
>> away and start again very quickly.
>
> Based on over 50 years of trouble shooting experience I cannot see the
> benefit of adding a VM to the mix when the problem is lack of documentation.

50 years?!