Hello,

My Gnome (Debian Squeeze) screensaver occasionally stops working.  It
happens every few days (2? 4-5? It doesn't appear to be regular).  Toggling
the state of the Power Manager Inhibit Applet (inhibit sleep then re-enable
sleep) will fix it (also a reboot will fix it).

The problem is that the screensaver just never activates.  I'm using the
Pictures screensaver, and it's set to turn on after 1 minute of idle time.
I've tried closing all programs and killing many processes (as many as I
could without killing the X session) without success.  (I *think* that
restarting the X session doesn't fix the issue but it's been a while since
I've tried that and I'm not in the error condition right now to try to
verify that statement.)  Changing the selected screensaver from Pictures to
something else doesn't fix the issue.  Killing the gnome-screensaver
process and restarting it doesn't fix the issue. There's no evidence of the
screensaver failing to start in .xsession-errors or Xorg.0.log.  After the
problem occurs I've tried unplugging my only accessory (a wireless USB
mouse) but that doesn't fix the issue.

Although the Inhibit Applet workaround is useful, it's still frustrating to
have to deal with that, and it only helps after I notice the issue has
occurred (i.e. I can't walk away from the computer and be assured the
screensaver will turn on).

Has anyone heard of an issue like this?  Or know what package to file a bug
against?  Or know where to look to understand what's happening?

Thanks,

Andrew