On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 15:07 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

>> Is this the best place for systemd assistance?
>
> The best place to get assistance are the insane people who try to force
> this into every Linux distribution, with LP leading the way.

>> First, systemd worked.
>> Now it hangs on bootup
>
> That's a feature of systemd.

This is a list for technical assistance so if you want to vent about a
developer, a package, a distribution, or whatever, please start a
blog.

>> So I now edit grub entry and use /sbin/init to log in to post this.
>
> That's only possible, because Debian still does support udev, policykit
> etc.. Today I continue to set up Debian or Ubuntu as replacement for my
> Arch Linux, because the switch to systemd ships with features like hangs
> on bootup.

Nothing but innacuracy and FUD, as usual.

As I've pointed out in another thread/post [1], you're confusing
consolekit and policykit. Policykit is a standalone
application/package. Consolekit on the other hand has been deprecated
upstream and replaced with systemd by systemd-logind. Please point to
an email (or a blog post) in which one of David Zeuthen, Lennart
Poettering, or Kay Sievers has announced that policykit was being
merged into systemd like udev.

All distributions "support udev" whether they boot via systemd or not.
The problem is that it's no longer possible for recent versions of
udev to compile it without compiling systemd too. It's silly for
systemd's developers to have done this and they're being rather
pig-headed about allowing udev to be compiled directly as a standalone
package, so perhaps you could vent about that in your first blog
post...

systemd has been the default on Fedora for 18 months and it's been
working just fine. It might have some integration problems on Arch and
Debian, especially if you migrate to systemd as you have to do on
Debian rather than install it directly as is now the default for Arch.

1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/11/msg00608.html