On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 16:49 -0800, salamandir wrote:
> i have been using kubuntu since dapper, and with precise it managed to
> tip my scale from "useful" to "too buggy to be useful" which is why i
> decided to switch distros.

My machine is a *NIX multi-boot. I add a FreeBSD to my many Linux
installs, resp. I'm still working on the install.

Ubuntu Studio Precise amd64 with Xfce still is ok on my machine. I guess
just the jackd package from the repositories is incomplete and there are
some minor issues. Ubuntu Studio Quantal amd64 and Ubuntu Quantal amd64
with Xfce are a PITA, but for some reasons I need a more up to date
install.

However, I used Debian stable amd64 and testing amd64 and AVLinux (a
32bit Debian stable), both for my needs are less god than the broken
Ubuntu.

I'm switching between Debian and Ubuntu and Arch, from time to time I
take a look at a RPM based distro. If something fit to my needs I only
maintain one or two installs of much more that are on my machine.

At the moment I don't have any stable Linux that fit to my needs, that's
why I take a look at FreeBSD, but because I need real-time abilities,
FreeBSD can't replace Linux.

IMO there's something very fishy and at least for my needs, it seems to
be independent from the distro.

If you don't have special needs, Debian stable could be the best choice
for you, OTOH it's outdated and if an outdated Ubuntu does fit to your
needs, there might be no big difference between an old Ubuntu and Debian
stable.

> because of the fact that i wasn't sure whether or not it might have
> been running a slow process, or was taking a long time examining
> multiple drives, i wasn't sure, so i left it going all night.

I sometimes do it too, but it never helped and when we are away from the
keyboard, something buggy might damage our data.

> i am a graphic artist and designer, and a musician. i use my computer
> for generating and manipulating vector and raster drawings,
> photo-manipulation, HTML design, accessing other servers via ssh and
> sftp, playing back, recording, processing and mixing down music... and
> the standard surfing the web, communicating with email, and that kind
> of thing.

Simple pixel graphic, just for lightscribe etc. and when ever usable,
professional audio production quality, email and web browsing is the
usage here.

Fortunately I prefer to do serious graphic work without the computer,
since my preferred pixel graphic app GIMP, became a PITA for my
workflow.

> > Do you use any exotic hardware?
>

> not as far as i know... the computer was brand new about 4 years ago,
> and i bought it from one of those "build-it-yourself" places that puts
> together generic hardware according to your specifications: i
> specified that the audio and video should be on the motherboard, that
> it should have 2G of memory, that it have space for at least one
> additional internal HD (it came with a 2G HD), and have at least 6 USB
> inputs.

What kind of issues do you get?

Regarding to audio I could imagine that an on-board device does cause
issues, especially for a fat desktop environment, that perhaps was less
heavyweight in the past. In this case switching the DE for what distro
ever might solve issues.