> On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 19:52 +0100, Gergely 'Dinchamion' Fazekas wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I'm using Debian Testing, and my laptop is set up with a dual-boot
> > system using WinXP and Debian. The hard drive is divided almost
> > half-and-half, but since I no longer use Windows (it has been weeks
> > since I booted into it) I'd like to delete it and utilise the whole
> > hdd for Debian. However, it's on an encrypted LVM - is it possible to
> > just boot into a gparted rescue cd, delete the partition... and then what?
>
> To get rid of the Windows partition there should be no issues with deleting,
> but assumed Debian does use LVM, than you can't use gparted to add free
> space to the existing LVM. To do that you need some commands, but the
> drawback would be, that your Debian and data is spread in an unclear style
> all over your drive, if you add a foo (have forgotten the term of the LVM
> thingy ;).
>
> IIUC the Windows does use LVM, however, if you add free space to the
> beginning of an existing "normal" partition for Debian, with /boot on it, you
> might not be able to boot Debian any more, resp. you have to fix it, or you
> simply use the free space to add a new partition and mount it.

Bah!

Yes, you can boot off of a live distro and do what you want.  Delete the win
partition, create a new partition and add it to the LVM Volume group, grow the
volume group into it.  You might just create a new logical volume and move
'/home/yourusername' to it. Google is chock full of instructions on how to
proceed.   Even 'man lvm' will get you pretty far.

All you should need to do in preparation is back up your whole machine before
you start.  I mean it!  This means you.  You have been warned.  Data loss is
easy to come by.  Back up your data.