013/1/5 Sthu Deus <sthu.d...@gmail.com>

> No. What I want is sharing hardware - the sound card among several
> users - i.e. I have several users logged in on a host. some of them use
> the card - some play music, or keep it paused currently while another
> tries to work w/ MIDI editor - like RoseGarden or LMMS.

you should use dmix with the 'ipc_key_add_uid' parameter set to false
to let multiple users share the same device.

> Currently I do not use sharing of sound card that results in lockups -
> app.s either waiting for hardware to be released or hang up my whole
> system - I tried to run ardour2 while mplayer2 was playing a FLAC. -
> Had to reset whole OS.

that sounds really weird... you should use jack sound server and configure
every user .asoundrc properly, furthermore have a look at your /etc/group
and add your user to the audio group, then you can use
/etc/security/limits.conf or /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf to "boost"
audio performances for audio group members

-r