I don't know what the hell happened there but I used Rescautux Disk again and
selected the 'Super Grub2 Disk' option that then offers the powerful menu item
of
finding any bootable operating system on your computer..I was then able to boot
into my AMD64 unstable partition and run dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc and this time
the
proper grub.cfg file was written and replaced the limited one that had been put
there previously.

I don't know why dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc worked that time and not before but I
can certainly recommend the (Recovery Disk) Super Grub2 Disk.

au revoir,

CK