First, thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Here is the basics of my research into setting up user automounting on a
minimal console-only system or X running only a window manager (in my case,
Openbox)--no display or sessions manager.  I'm running wheezy 64-bit.

The "quick and dirty" solution?  Udisks, plus udisks-glue.  Worked out of the
box, but with caveats.

1.  Udisks-glue must be run by the user.  So, putting /usr/bin/udisks-glue in
rc.local, so it runs at start up, won't work as only root will be able to
access the device(s).  However, devices are automounted.  Yes, you can edit the
appropriate "permissions" file to give "users" access, but this was too much
work.  Maybe, later, if the need arises.

2.  "Glue" must be run by the user in the current session terminal for the user
to be able to access the automounted device.  So, if you boot to tty1 as I'm
doing, logging in, running "glue", all is fine.  However, if you later need X
and run startx, automounting won't work as "glue" is running only in tty1, and
the X is running in another.  You can either run "glue" again in a xterm or,
what I did, run it from Openbox's autostart file.  I did find a script that
forces startx to run X in the login tty, in this case tty1, but didn't test it.
 I wanted to keep the system as "default" as possible.

3.  By default, "glue' doesn't mount the device with its label or device name
(/dev/sd-whatever), but with a cryptic name like 585D-F99F.  If I understand
correctly, this can be changed by editing udisks-glue's configure file, either
the global one or a user one.

4.  "Glue" is not set up by default to mount CDs or DVDs, but again this can be
enabled by editing the config file.

Another automount solution is creating a udev rule for it.  I found this [1],
but haven't tested it yet.  Still learning how to write a proper udev rule.
This appeals to me more than "glue" as it's a more system "standard" solution.

Also, someone suggested usbmount, which I was aware of, but in my reading, it
said that it would only mount thumb and external USB hard drives, and not flash
cards using a reader.  I never tested to see if this were true.

I'll let the list know how the udev rule solution goes as a few had need of the
automounting on minimal systems.

Until later.

[1]:  https://soosck.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/improved-udev-rule-arch-linux/