hi,

thanks for your reply

That's what I thought too, but it's definitely not that. Below some commands I run once Debian is up and running, and once I'm already logged in :

# /etc/init.d/slapd start
Starting OpenLDAP: slapd (just to check that my init.d/slapd script works)

# /etc/init.d/slapd stop
Stopping OpenLDAP: slapd

# service slapd start
Starting OpenLDAP: failed ==> so I'm unable to run slapd with service

# /etc/init.d/slapd
Starting OpenLDAP: slapd

# service slapd stop
Stopping OpenLDAP: slapd ==> but it can be stopped with service

I can start slapd with my init.d script, but I'm unable to start it with the service command