On Sat, 2013-02-23 at 19:15 +0000, Dom wrote:

> I think the pae bit will only be used by CPUs that support it, otherwise
> it will be ignored and run normally. Only some "really old" CPUs (like
> some others I do run) won't be supported.
>
> My laptop shows:
>
> dom@oz:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor     : 0
> vendor_id     : GenuineIntel
> cpu family    : 6
> model         : 9
> model name    : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz
> stepping      : 5
> microcode     : 0x7
> cpu MHz               : 600.000
> cache size    : 1024 KB
> fdiv_bug      : no
> hlt_bug               : no
> f00f_bug      : no
> coma_bug      : no
> fpu           : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level   : 2
> wp            : yes
> flags         : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush
> dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm pbe up bts est tm2
> bogomips      : 1196.90
> clflush size  : 64
> cache_alignment       : 64
> address sizes : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual

The '36 bits physical' seems to indicate that your Pentium M _does_ have
PAE, and if Wikipedia is to be believed [1] a lot of the the later
Pentium Ms did.

One of my old Laptops has a Pentium M 730 [1] which confusingly has PAE
but only 32-bit physical address size.

[1] http://ark.intel.com/products/27586

--
Tixy