I have a virtual lenny system (2.6.26-2-amd64) running on VMWare VCenter.

For testing and quality assurance, I am trying to create a clone of the machine under VirtualBox running on my development workstation.

I booted from a rescue cd image and created a disk with an identical partition layout as the live system, formatted the filesystems and then used rsync to copy the filesystem from the live system to the new test vm.

I can't boot the test vm without getting this message on boot:
/bin/run-init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory.

If I set break=bottom at boot, I can mount and view the root filesystem. So /bin/bash and /sbin/init do exist at boot time.

I also can't chroot to the root filesystem from the rescue cd environment. Chroot reports:
chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

/dev & /proc are bind mounted on the root file system when I run chroot. I've tried both the chroot on the rescue cd and the root filesystem.

I have extracted the coreutils, bash, and sysvinit packages from archive.debian.org to the root filesystem and can verify that /sbin/init, /bin/bash, and /usr/sbin/chroot do in fact exist. Here are the md5sums:

23f5429412b98a704b888704b7504b7b  /mnt/bin/bash
25362d91e139e55a406cfbc2333484d0  /mnt/sbin/init
92ce55e8137b60d05788b8c711d4d44d  /mnt/usr/sbin/chroot

The VirtualBox host and rescue cd image are AMD64 linux also. I also tried the lenny64 business card image.
I have run out of ideas.   Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Kirk