Hello All,

By mistake this thread has been going only to Steven Grunza. I'm reposting to
the whole list for help.

Regarding installing onto the USB hard drive...

I booted from USB thumb drive, then tried to install from that (using its
built-in Debian Installer) onto a USB hard drive. That also failed, same
problem as when I attempted to install to a 2nd USB thumb drive: GRUB failed
(automatically) and then LILO failed (manually selected). I aborted the
installation.

Unfortunately, the experiment failed. As I originally thought, the problem is
not with flash structures, its with USB implementation. Or, at least, that's
how it appears.

===== UPDATE =====

I'm back early to report my experiences (frustrations) with the Debian
installer.

First, it goes full screen and doesn't allow a way to close it or to switch
back to the desktop - basically, it's a one-way street that either succeeds or
that requires the user to hit the power button.

Second, for the hell of it I tried Alt-Tab (as though Debian was Windows) and -
surprise! - I could switch between windows (but not go back to the desktop).
What were those other windows? There were 6 of them! They were all prompts to
run the file manager on the newly mounted volume! That automounting is really
getting in the way.

Now I'm going to go back to attempting to install from USB flash stick to USB
hard drive...

===== MORE UPDATE =====

I'm back again, but still not done. Sigh! The Debian installer gives you the option
to save snapshots. I tried to save a snapshot showing how I'm partitioning the USB
hard drive. The Debian installer said it was saving the snapshots to
/var/log/<...bla-bla-bla...>.png.

(I would have liked to have been given the option to save them somewhere else,
such as the partition that I created expressly for Windows, so I could access
it while running Windows).

Of course, when I got out of the Debian installer, those .png files weren't in
/var/log! Argh!

Okay, this is a side trip: Here (to the best of my recollection) is how I'm
trying to partition:

Pri-0: 243 MB, ext3, LVM, bootable
Pri-1: 28 GB, NTFS, "WindowsTemp"
Ext-0: 333 MB, ext3, /
Ext-1: 3.18 GB, ext3
Ext-2: 1.55 GB, swap
Ext-3: 524 MB, ext3
Ext-4: 277 MB, ext3
Ext-5: 3.24 GB, ext3

I can't remember which is for /ver, which is for /usr, etc. Basically, I told it to use
an LVM, then I created the "WindowsTemp", then I told it to automatically
partition the remainder.

Now I'm going to go back to attempting to install from USB flash stick to USB
hard drive... (stay tuned to this channel).

Ciao - Mark.